Color Vowel® Workshops & Webinars
ELTS provides illuminating workshops and webinars for teachers of English as a Second Language, ESOL paraprofessionals, bilingual education teachers, reading specialists, pronunciation coaches, Speech Language Pathologists– in short, any educator who seeks to teach English Learners more effectively.
“I feel like I’ve taken a quantum leap in my quest to learn and teach the English language!”
– Ricardo Castaño, ESL Teacher, Maryland
“I’m glad I never learned any other way to teach ESL.”
– Anne Hopewell, ESL Teacher, Washington DC
UPCOMING Workshops & Webinars
We offer Color Vowel Basics in two formats: as a face-to-face 6-hour Complete Workshop and as a Webinar delivered in two 3-hour Modules.
Discover the Color Vowel Chart and learn how to teach with a Color Vowel Approach for improved English Learner literacy, pronunciation, spelling, and vocabulary development. Participants may request a certificate of participation in order to report professional development hours.
- Understand the history of English as an alphabetic language that is not (very) phonetically written and the resulting challenges we face as educators.
- Discover the untapped ‘secret’ of spoken English: word and phrase stress.
- Learn how to use the Color Vowel Chart as a visual organizer for words and phrases.
- Mirror and practice essential Color Vowel instructional techniques: anchoring, kinesthetic signaling, categorization, and acoustic flooding.
- Workshop participants only: Experience an afternoon of powerful classroom games and activities that boost learner engagement while building phonological awareness.
WORKSHOPS (Face to face, full day events)
- Washington DC – Saturday, February 3 (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Washington DC – Saturday, August 18 (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
We now offer Color Vowel Basics as a webinar series! Webinars take place via Zoom meeting software. You will need a computer or mobile device that is audio and video enabled; this will enable us to interact throughout the webinar. The complete Basics webinar consists of Module 1 and Module 2. Participants register and pay for each module separately. Due to the interactive nature of our webinars, registration is limited to 10 participants.
- Module 1 (register for one of the following)
- Module 2 (register for one of the following)
- Two Fridays: May 11 & May 18 – 2-3:30 p.m. ET
- Two Saturdays: May 12 & May 19 – 8-9:30 a.m. ET
Teaching Confidently with the Color Vowel® Approach:
an intermediate workshop
($110 Early Bird/ $125 Regular)
- Washington DC – Saturday, March 3, 2018
(9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Washington DC – Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018
(9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
Building on our Color Vowel Basics workshop (see above), our next-steps workshop will help you develop greater phonological awareness and confidence as you practice essential techniques for the sound-aware language classroom. This 6-hour workshop is appropriate for anyone who has completed our Basics workshop or its equivalent. Participants may request a certificate of participation in order to report professional development hours.
- Review essential concepts including word and phrase stress, vowel quality, and the visual design of the Chart.
- Learn how to teach pronunciation of r-controlled vowels, reduced speech, and vowel-to-vowel linking with the Color Vowel Chart.
- Explore uses of the Chart for teaching grammar, vocabulary, literacy, and spelling.
- Gain a greater understanding of your own accent, others’ accents, and how the Color Vowel Chart facilitates discussions of accent.
- View and discuss authentic classroom footage to see what the Color Vowel Approach looks like in practice with learners of various ages and levels.
- Note: For this workshop, we will continue using the Color Vowel Teacher Starter Kit that all participants use in the Basics workshop. If you do not own a Teacher Starter Kit, please purchase yours prior to the workshop.