ELTS provides illuminating workshops for teachers of English as a Second Language, ESOL paraprofessionals, bilingual education teachers, reading specialists, pronunciation coaches, Speech Language Pathologists– in short, any educator who seeks to teach their non-native English speaking students more effectively.
“I feel like I’ve taken a quantum leap in my quest to learn and teach the English language!”
– Ricardo Castaño, ESL Teacher, Maryland
“I’m glad I never learned any other way to teach ESL.”
– Anne Hopewell, ESL Teacher, Washington DC
Color Vowel® Basics: an introductory workshop
($125 Early bird/$150 Regular)
Register for one of the following dates (link will take you to Eventbrite). If registering for 3 or more participants, contact us to receive a 15% discount code before you register.)
- Saturday, December 2 (9 a.m.-4 p.m. • Washington DC
Discover the Color Vowel Chart and learn how teaching with a Color Vowel Approach powerfully intersects with English as a Second Language, pronunciation, literacy, spelling, and vocabulary development for learners of all ages. This 6-hour workshop is appropriate for English as a Second Language teachers, ESOL paraprofessionals, bilingual education teachers, pronunciation coaches, reading specialists, Speech Language Pathologists, and general educators. Registration includes workshop materials for both our Basics and our Teaching Confidently workshops, and lifetime access to our private online teaching community. Participants also receive a certificate of participation.
- Understand the history of English as an alphabetic language that is not (very) phonetically written and the resulting challenges we face as educators.
- Discover the untapped ‘secret’ of spoken English: word and phrase stress.
- Learn how the Color Vowel Chart serves as a visual organizer for words and phrases, providing learners with a powerful tool for vocabulary development.
- Familiarize yourself with our essential Color Vowel instructional techniques: anchoring, kinesthetic signaling, categorization, and acoustic flooding.
- Practice using these techniques and receive personalized feedback.
- Receive your own Color Vowel Teacher Starter Kit.
- Note: If you already own a copy of The Color Vowel Approach or the entire Teacher Starter Kit, bring these materials with you on the day of the workshop, and we will refund you accordingly.
Teaching Confidently with the Color Vowel® Approach: an intermediate workshop
($110 Early Bird/ $125 Regular)
Register for one of the following dates (link will take you to Eventbrite). If registering 3 or more participants, contact us to receive a 15% discount code before you register.)
- Saturday September 30th, 2017
(9 a.m.-4 p.m.) • Washington DC
- Saturday, December 9th, 2017
(9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) • Washington DC
For educators who have completed our Color Vowel Basics workshop (above), our next-steps workshop will help you develop greater phonological awareness and confidence as you practice essential techniques for the sound-aware language classroom. This 6-hour workshop is appropriate for anyone who has completed our Basics workshop (or its equivalent). Participants receive a certificate of participation.
- Review essential concepts including word and phrase stress, vowel quality,
and the visual design of the Chart.
- Learn how to teach pronunciation of r-controlled vowels, reduced speech, and vowel-to-vowel linking with the Color Vowel Chart.
- Explore uses of the Chart for teaching grammar, vocabulary, literacy, and spelling.
- Practice teaching with Color Vowel techniques and receive personalized feedback.
- Gain a greater understanding of your own accent, others’ accents, and how the Color Vowel Chart facilitates discussions of accent.
- View and discuss authentic classroom footage to see what the Color Vowel Approach looks like in practice with learners of various ages and levels.
- Note: For this workshop, we will continue using the Color Vowel Teacher Starter Kit that all participants receive in the Basics workshop. If you do not own a Teacher Starter Kit, please purchase yours prior to the workshop.